This is an introductory class
A traditional post & rung ladderback chair design updated by Brian Boggs with stunning curves and remarkable comfort
Traditional post & rung chairs tend to have a somewhat boxy appearance and are often not very comfortable. This chair changes all that with beautifully curved, steam bent rear legs and slats that improve the appearance of the chair and at the same time make it a delight to sit in.
This seven day class will take you, step-by-step, through the process of hand crafting a Brian Boggs designed Post & Rung Side Chair. Because class size is limited to three students, you get personalized instruction and can work at your own pace. Every process is broken down into small, manageable steps so that you can concentrate on mastering one task at a time before moving onto the next. Whenever a new process is introduced, especially for hand shaping, you are given the opportunity to practice on spare material before working on your actual chair part. In addition to showing you how, I always explain why, so that you will understand underlying concepts and how each step fits into the big picture.
Learn how to
- Select lumber and mill parts for chairmaking
- Steam bend the rear legs and slats
- Hand shape curved and straight parts using a drawknife, spokeshave and scraper
- Work with angles and curved parts
- Use moisture content and grain orientation to make a long-lasting joint
- Assemble using hide glue
- Sharpen chairmaking tools
- Weave a hickory bark seat
Fully illustrated manual
The class includes an 80+ page, fully illustrated manual that documents the process for building your chair from beginning to end. It serves as a step-by-step reminder of the steps taught in class. Because the manual is so complete it minimizes or eliminates the need for you to take notes. This allows you to spend all your class time learning new techniques and working on your chair.
Part of the challenge of building a chair in your home shop is making the bending forms and jigs. The manual that is included in the class fee has drawings and dimensions for the every form and jig. For an additional fee there is a Template Set with masters you can use to template rout your own bending forms and slat mortising jig. And there is also a Jig & Form Set with complete bending forms, drying forms, slat mortising jig, slat fitting jigs and drilling jigs.
Although the manual should provide you with all the information you need to make this chair in your own shop I am also available, via e-mail, to answer questions as they come up.
Located in NORTHWEST CONNECTICUT
All classes take place in my shop in an 1870's barn in the historic Pine Meadow section of New Hartford, Connecticut a small town located in the foothills of the Berkshires about 120 miles from both New York and Boston.
- To ask questions or register for a class call 203-837-6369or click here to contact me via e-mail
- See the 2018 schedule here
- Class fee: $1,350 for the Boggs Side Chair and $1,550 for the Boggs Arm Chair. Includes 7 days of instruction, chair and seat materials, and fully illustrated manual. For an additional fee you can purchase the Template Set for making your own forms or the Jig & Form Set with complete forms and other jigs.
- Materials: oak, cherry, or walnut. hickory bark seat.
- Class size: Maximum of 3 students
- Prerequisite: None
- Deposit: A $250 deposit is required to reserve a class spot